[News] possible DB query bug?

Dr. Mark Neeser neeser at usm.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 18 15:43:25 CET 2004

Hi all,

while experimenting with SourceList queries to the data-base,
Jan and I found the following potential problem:

It seems that a search for a region that lies WITHIN a source list
is not logically implemented.

This is easier to understand in an example:

Suppose that we have a source list with
sourcelist: llRA=12.54,

then, a query of the form:

sl = (SourceList.llRA > 12 )
sl = (SourceList.llRA > 12.5 )
sl = (SourceList.llRA > 12.54 )

all work, but a query of the form:

sl = (SourceList.llRA > 12.55 )

does not work.

It seems that SourceList.llRA==12.54 but not > 12.55 and, therefore,
the query fails.

Of course, the search could be made to work with a multiple "or"
statement, but even in this case it seems that you can only get
back the COMPLETE source list, and not the searched for sub-section
of the source list.

Please have a look if you can repeat this at your respective sites,
and that we are just not doing an incorrect query or source list
implementation.

Cheers,

Mark

Dr. Mark J. Neeser

Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics,       _/       _/     _/ _/_/  _/
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen       _/ _/  _/_/     _/ _/ _/	_/
Scheinerstrasse 1,                           _/       _/   _/_/ _/    _/
D-81679 Muenchen, Germany

Tel: +49-89-2180-5995
Fax: +49-89-2180-6003

email:  neeser at usm.uni-muenchen.de