[News] Python 2.3

Danny R. Boxhoorn danny at astro.rug.nl
Thu Aug 7 11:48:17 CEST 2003

Dear reader,

As you may know Python 2.3 has been released last week.
Rather than bluntly upgrade to version 2.3 it is a good idea to see what
it offers and whether the advantages outnumber the disadvantages.

A major disadvantage is the trouble for all of us having to upgrade Python
itself and all the extension modules. Remember that those who are using
a newer version of Python might unknowingly introduce code that is
not backwards compatible with a previous version. To avoid that situation
it is sensible to regard moving to a new version of Python as a major
step that we plan in advance.
Note that this also means that if you want to commit code and you are running
a newer version of Python than the currently suggested one you should be
careful to check that it also works with the suggested version.

As far as the advantages are concerned I arrived at the following list.

`datetime' module.
   Python 2.3 has a `date and time' type of its own. This means that we no
   longer need the separately installed `mx.DateTime' extension package.
   However, the DCOracle2 package also depends on `mx.DateTime', so it
   is still too early to move to the `datetime' type.

bool, True, False.
   A boolean type has been added with the possible values True and False.
   `print 5>3' returns `True' in version 2.3 where it would return 1
   in previous versions.
   This is particularly helpful for new and end users.

`idle'
   The `idle' integrated development environment has been improved.
   This is useful for those who like to develop or work in an more powerful
   graphical environment.

`optparse' module.
   This provides a nice way of parsing and handling command-line arguments.
   Its main use would be for Recipes.

`zipimport'
   Allows packages/modules to be put in a single .zip file making client
   installations of the software easier.

The other improvements in Python 2.3 are mostly cosmetic and do not add
substantial features. However, that is just my judgement so I invite you
to look at the new features and improvements in Python 2.3 and explain
why you think it is worthwhile to upgrade or not to upgrade.

Ciao,

                                                   Danny