[News] Notes - telekon 9/9/04

Edwin A. Valentijn valentyn at astro.rug.nl
Thu Sep 9 18:35:18 CEST 2004

Dear all,

Herewith a few notes from our telekon today.

present at the telekon:
Napoli:  Juan, Lieno, Alfredo, Mario
USM: Roberto
OmegaCEN: Danny, Ewout, Edwin
Shortly after the meeting I also spoke to Mark and Emmanuel.

QC issues:
- Juan and Ewout will further iterate on QC of flat fields etc- Juan
will send his code to Ewout
- Mark will visit Ronald around mid October to discuss photometry QC
- Erik will implement his astrom QC text next week when is here in Groningen

Context/Surveys/projects:
- Edwin explained that we will focus on this issue coming months, as a
preparation how to run surveys and projects in the AstroWise
environment. The involvement in this definition and implementation by
future astronomers/survey operators is very important.
- Danny will send around a first draft text on the implementation of
context in Astrowise db in the coming week.

Meeting:
- we want to organize an Astrowise meeting in the beginning of November,
most likely in Groningen (but offers from others sites to organize this
are welcome).
On the Agenda there will be: QC, context -running surveys, database
viewers/webservices

PSF:
We agreed to form a  small working group on PSF homogenization
consisting of:
Roberto Salia, Mark, Koen, Emmanuel, Ronald and somebody from Napoli (TBC)
Emmanuel reports that he plans to implement PSF homogenization on image
level in the very near future; he will start with modifying the
background subtraction method in Sextractor which would not work well
with the correlated noise produced by the PSF homogenization.
Terapix wants to apply this homogenization before co-adding the images
to optimize the resulting PSF(due to strong variations in seeing during
the exposures at CFHT).
Other groups have ideas and plans on homogenization on catalogue level,
for photometric consistency.  The idea for the working group is to work
out a plan together and support its implementation in Awe.  I assume
Roberto and Mark will take the initiative to start an e-mail exchange on
this.

Terapix:
- Main release of data and code from/for MegaCAM will be end of this month
- a lot of work on migration to 64bit Opterons has been done.
- Frederick restarted working on Panorapix and we are promised a new
release in the near future.

 - please  for next time: be present in your office 5 min to 14:00,
otherwise call fails

So far for now,

all the best

Edwin