[News] sub window statistics

Ewout M. Helmich helmich at astro.rug.nl
Tue Dec 13 11:48:14 CET 2005

Dear all,

We would like to finalize the procedure for deriving and storing
statistics in
subwindows for the images, and it turns out we're still somewhat unsure
whether the
current approach is in fact the best way to do things.

Currently the SubWinStat situation is that for each CCD statistics are
calculated
for:

A) 32 subwindows covering the entire CCD. The windows are 500x500 pixels
in size.

Our worry is that with this subwindow size, large scale (flat-field)
effects and
stars may be a factor within the subwindows. Additionally when the idea
is to
characterize the CCD images by a reduced number of numbers, 32
subwindows may be counter productive, complicating things rather than
simplifying
them.

We could use smaller and fewer windows, for example:

B) 8 subwindows NOT covering the entire CCD. Windows are 50x50 pixels in
size.

What are your ideas on this?

Regards,
Ewout