[News] sub window statistics

Oliver-Mark Cordes ocordes at astro.uni-bonn.de
Wed Dec 14 09:05:49 CET 2005

Hi!

>From the previous mails I think that somebody are concerned that smaller
subwindows lead to poor statistics in the case of science frames when
stars are laying in this fields. To avoid stars in whatever sized
subwindow you can compute the mode of the subwindow/ccd which gives you
the "mean" value of the background which only is important to characterize
the image. We are doing this in Bonn in our pipeline. For this case the
mode can't be determined  by only doing some straight statistics, you have
to do some fitting which costs time. So a  smaller number of windows, e.g.
9 or 16 would be sufficient.

Cheers,
 	Oliver

--

  Dr. Oliver-M. Cordes       E-Mail:   ocordes at astro.uni-bonn.de
  Sternwarte der             WWW-URL:  http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~ocordes/
  Universitaet Bonn          Phone:    (49) 228 / 73-5656
  Auf dem Huegel 71          Fax:      (49) 228 / 73-3672
  D - 53121 Bonn    Germany

  Private address: Witterschlickerstr. 22 , D - 53123 Bonn
  Private phone:   (49) 228 / 7482582